1.This International Exhibit and Festival recognizes the highest achievements of humour and satire in the following CATEGORIES, each to have its own exhibition area:
- GRAPHICS & DRAWINGS
2.SUBJECT MATTER for all categories: FREE
SUBJECT MATTER for Cartoons category: ‘ALL ROADS LEAD TO …’
Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE, Gabrovo Municipality, the Ministry of Culture and the Humour of the Peoples Society; the Organizing Committee is chaired by the Mayor of Gabrovo.
May 21, 2011, at 11:00 a.m., Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE
The exhibitions will run until September 30, 2011
A jury of professional artists and former Biennial winners selects the works for the exhibitions and awards the prizes. The decisions of the jury are final and there is no appeal.
- GRAND PRIX - the GOLDEN AESOP statuette, 2 000 BGN, a certificate and an invitation to stage a one-artist show during Biennial 2013.
- PRIZE of the town of GABROVO - the GASCAR statuette, 1 500 BGN and a certificate.
- Prizes (six) of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Bulgaria – 1 000 BGN each and a certificate in each category.
- Prize for sculpture awarded by Skalni Materiali JS Co–Rousse – 2 000 BGN and a certificate
- Prize of Skalni Materiali JS Co-Rousse - 1 000 BGN and a certificate - awarded to a young sculptor (up to 35 yrs.)
- Prize of LIONS CLUB of Baden/Helenental, Austria – 750 EUR and a certificate – awarded to a young Bulgarian graphic artist (up to 30 yrs.)
- Prize of the Humour of the Peoples Society - 400 BGN and a certificate
- Prize of the Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE – The World Lasts Because It Laughs plaque, a substantial prize to the value of 300 BGN and a certificate
- Prize of Inter Data Systems, Co. – a professional Lowepro photo backpack and a certificate; prize goes to the funniest photograph submitted.
- Prize for cartoon awarded by the Directorate of CENTRAL BALKAN National Park on Safeguarding Nature - a 3-day visit to CENTRAL BALKAN National Park and a certificate.
- Prize of Gabrovo Planet Society - a statuette, 100 BGN and a certificate - awarded to the best work on Gabrovo subject matter.
The cash prizes in BGN (Bulgarian Leva) are subject to taxation in conformity with Bulgarian law. The prizes can be received no later than December 31, 2011. The prize winning works remain in the Humour of the Peoples collection of the Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE. The latter reserves the right to extend personal invitations to the prize winners to attend the prize-awarding ceremony.
GENERAL ENTRY RULES
The competition is open to all artists who accept the conditions of entry. The working languages are Bulgarian and English. In case of disagreement on the interpretation of the text, the Bulgarian text is the valid one.
2. DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES: March 1st, 2011
ADDRESS: Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE
68, Bryanska St., P. O. Box 104, 5300 Gabrovo, BULGARIA
For contacts: Tel. /+359 66/ 807248; /+359 66/ 803526; /+359 66/ 804945.
Fax: /+359 66/ 806989
E-mail: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
The conditions of entry (in Bulgarian, English, German, French and Russian), the jury members and the recognition of the entries received, selected and awarded can be viewed at http://www.humorhouse.bg .
INDIVIDUAL NOTIFICATION WILL NOT BE MADE TO BIENNIAL ENTRANTS.
3. All art works should be originals signed by the entrants and entrants' property. They should not have been awarded before. Works submitted by e-mail will not be accepted. Any technique is acceptable.
4. MAXIMUM SIZES
- CARTOONS A4 (29 x 21 cm)
- GRAPHICS & DRAWINGS 70 x 100 cm
- PAINTINGS 150 x 150 cm
- SCULPTURE 80 cm maximum height and 20 kg maximum weight
- POSTERS 70 x 100 cm
- PHOTOGRAPHS 30 x 40 cm
5. Each artist may submit no more than 2 entries for each category; up to 2 works can be selected for an exhibition. The cartoons should be “without words”.
6. The artist's name, title of the work, year of creation, technique, value and category type should be printed on the back of each entry. Each work should be accompanied by an entry form completed in capital block letters.
7. Unless indicated otherwise, all entries submitted will be considered donations to the Humour of the Peoples collection at the Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE; therefore, artists are requested to complete and sign the Certificate of Donation on the entry form. The organizers greatly appreciate these donations which will significantly enhance the international collections to be enjoyed by all. The donors' names will be listed on the homepage of the Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE; the donated works will be shown in future exhibitions both in Bulgaria and abroad.
8. Artists who cannot donate their work and explicitly indicate TO BE RETURNED on the entry form should deposit by September 30, 2011 the following return sums which cover packaging, dispatching and postage charges:
- CARTOONS, GRAPHICS, DRAWINGS, POSTERS and PHOTOGRAPHS – 30 EUR
- PAINTINGS – 80 EUR
- SCULPTURE – 130 EUR
The artists will have their works returned by November 30, 2011
Works can also be returned by express services at the expense of the artists on their explicit written instructions.
Works lacking return postage by September 30, 2011 and unclaimed by the artists until November 30, 2011 will become property of the Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE.
9. The return sums can be sent by:
- Bank transfer to:
Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE
DSK Bank PLc – Gabrovo branch
IBAN number: BG83STSA93003110025400
BIC code of DSK Bank Plc: STSABGSF
- Money order payable to the Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE
- Cash at the pay office of the Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE (a happy circumstance for the organizers to meet you, the artist).
Sorry, NO cheques or charge cards.
10. All entries should be posted or sent by express services frameless and unmounted as printed matter with PRINTED MATTER noted on the package.
11. Artists should cover the transport costs franco Gabrovo. The organizers will not collect packages sent franco other destinations. All customs dues and landing charges payable upon the receipt and the return of the works should be covered by the artists who will be personally notified of the exact amount.
12. The Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE guarantees the safety of the works from the date of receipt to the date of return. No responsibility is assumed for damage or loss during transit. It is recommended that the works should be insured in advance.
13. The Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE reserves the right to reproduce the works on display and have them printed in its publications and other publicity materials.
14. The Museum HOUSE OF HUMOUR AND SATIRE publishes an art catalogue of the works selected for display. Only artists with selected works are entitled to a free copy. The catalogue is available at the museum gift shop and all other artists can have it for 50 EUR remitted according to item 9.
15. The organizers guarantee that the artists’ personal data will be processed as it is stipulated in the Personal Data Protection Act in force in the Republic of Bulgaria now.
16. The conditions of entry are contractually binding. By submitting works to the Biennial Exhibition artists agree to the terms of this contract.